zaterdag 9 oktober 2010

Materialism or Spirit


"If you begin to watch your life from the perspective of the Stargazer, you'll find that simple materialism is pitifully inadequate to describe your own experience." Martha Beck

The Stargazer is a name Martha uses to describe the deep part of ourself that holds the knowledge of our destiny, or North Star. It can't be grasped by the intellect. Finding our Stargazer and remaining grounded in it can be a challenge. I know what gets me there, as I suspect you do, but I tend to take a laissez-faire approach, letting my Stargazer appear randomly rather than self-initiating. Paying more attention to my spontaneous voice within makes a significant difference in my life nowadays though. I always feel happier when I follow it's direction. At times the message is to begin something new, other times it tells me to stop what I'm doing and refocus. For example, yesterday, I was 'told' to cut greenery in the garden for my studio. I always know I'm on the right track when I get that excited feeling, the sense that what I'm creating is just perfect for me in that moment.

The abundance and vibrancy of India had a profound effect on me on my recent trip...from the bright colours to the residents and fellow travellers we encountered, to the dirt, dust and poverty. What impacted me above all were not the material things but the connections I made with people, animals and nature. After waiting 30 years to visit India I embraced it with an openness that made me receptive to all it had to offer. During every stage of our trip my partner and I attracted people and circumstances that fed our spirits. The splendour of the Himalayas, the cycle of life & death in Varanasi, the abandoned babies in Delhi's Paharganj district, the disenfranchised Tibetans, the red sands of southern Kerala and the gentle groundedness of the elephants...these are the things that inspired me and changed me.

What was reinforced deeply for me in India was the theme of spiritual interconnectedness. Our hearts open and our spirit soars when given the right opportunities. I've realized that my daily interactions with friends, family and clients now that I'm back home seem different. I feel that I've been able to bring that feeling of connectedness back with me.

Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love says that we have access to God through the "thin places" and that we need stillness each day to find those sacred moments. The thin places are different for each of us. For some it may be nature, for others meditation, for others closeness with friends and family and for yet others creating beauty through an artistic endeavour. Marianne Williamson, one of my favourite authors calls this process "a spiritual stillness that takes root in our souls."

I hope you find your "spiritual stillness".

Copyright 2008 Ellen Besso








Through her 'Odyssey of Change' coaching program, Ellen Besso offers Midlife Women the opportunity to navigate the midlife maze and find joy & fullness in their lives.

Personal action plans include strengthening the body-mind connection; releasing beliefs that limit growth; & specific actions to move you forward into your ideal life.

Ellen is uniquely qualified to be your guide because she has personally journeyed through perimenopause and into an inspired life as a menopausal crone! Her professional credentials include certification as a Martha Beck Coach and an M.A. in Counselling from City University.

To find out more about Ellen's work and read articles written by her contact:
http://www.ellenbesso.com or ellenbesso.com/midlifemaze
info@ellenbesso.com 800 961 1364 - N.Am. or
604 886 1916 - Gibsons, BC


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten